Monday, April 10, 2006



So yesterday, I got a job playing at Howl at the Moon in Pioneer Square for "The World's Greatest Dueling Piano Show." The gig is three nights a week and $100 a night plus tips. The basic job description calls for playing spontaneous renditions of songs being requested by drunk people. And if you know me well enough, this is something I've been doing my ENTIRE LIFE.

The show I went to Saturday night after the Mariners game was packed elbow to elbow and people were tipping insanely well, as in like, I couldn't fucking keep count. I auditioned playing some faux-Joplin, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Gangsta" and was hired immediately based on that alone. I start on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. But even if I was born for this job, I'm still a pile of nerves. Especially since I applied as a server/host and somehow, thanks to my very long, very overdone resume, ended up auditioning to become the centerpiece for the show itself.

The universe is weird. ("Kiss me while we're out of focus.")

The next few days, I'll have to practice like crazy and up my game. (I'm a little less limber since I stopped being a music major.) Ontop of that, there are play rehearsals, car payments, passports and a hundred other things to think about.

Here's to making lists in my sleep...

No comments: